16@95 Improvement Projects
The 16@95 Improvement Projects will provide infrastructure enhancements to the I-16 at I-95 interchange and along the I-16 corridor, one of Georgia’s busiest freight corridors as well as the gateway to the growing port in Savannah. The projects are intended to ease congestion, decrease travel times, and increase safety and operational efficiencies for passenger and freight vehicles. The projects include:
- I-16/I-95 Interchange Reconstruction
- I-16 Widening from I-95 to I-516
- Widening the I-16 mainline corridor toward the inside median, increasing the existing roadway from two lanes to three lanes in each direction
- Reconstructing six bridges, replace four bridges, and construct three new bridges
- Replacing two existing loop ramps located on the west side of I-95 with innovative turbine configuration ramps
- Constructing a collector-distributor (CD) lane* on I-95 northbound to separate the vehicles exiting and entering from I-16
- Building a two-lane, emergency-use median crossover on I-16 between I-95 and Dean Forest Road to an aide during hurricane evacuations.
- Installing Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) technology, such as cameras and changeable message signs, to provide real-time driving conditions
- Adding new interchange lighting
Click here to view I-16/I-95 interchange rendering
*Collector-distributor (CD) lanes run parallel to the main travel lanes of an interstate or highway, connecting them to access roads or entrance ramps in order to improve traffic flow, speed, and safety.
Interactive Project Timeline
- Q4 2019
Noise barriers are being evaluated as part of this project in accordance with the Georgia DOT noise policy and Federal Highway Administration noise regulations. As the environmental field work and roadway design move forward, locations for potential noise barriers will be announced and property owners and renters who would benefit from a proposed noise barrier will be given the opportunity to participate in noise barrier voting. Download a noise barrier fact sheet here.
Mailing Address: 20 Martin Court, Savannah, GA 31419