16@95 Improvement Projects
The 16@95 Improvement Projects will provide infrastructure enhancements to the I-16 at I-95 interchange and along the I-16 corridor, one of Georgia’s busiest freight corridors as well as the gateway to the growing port in Savannah. The projects are intended to ease congestion, decrease travel times, and increase safety and operational efficiencies for passenger and freight vehicles. The projects include:
- I-16/I-95 Interchange Reconstruction
- I-16 Widening from I-95 to I-516
In accordance with social distancing practices, instead of a typical in-person groundbreaking ceremony, Georgia DOT produced a video to celebrate this momentous occasion. We encourage you to watch the video, which includes remarks from Georgia DOT leadership, members of the project team, and local leaders.
The project limits along I-16 and I-95 are identified by milepost (MP) locations and are listed below:
• I-16 from MP 156 to MP 164
• I-95 from MP 98 to MP 100
Advanced construction signage will be placed approximately 2 miles in advance of project construction limits.
If you have questions regarding the 16@95 Improvement Projects activities, please email 1695Improvements@dot.ga.gov or call the Project Hotline at (912) 480-9625.
If you have questions regarding activities outside the 16@95 Improvement Projects limits, please contact the Georgia DOT’s District 5 office at (912) 427-5711.
- Widen I-16 mainline corridor toward the inside median from two to three lanes in each direction from I-95 to I-516
- Replace the existing (I-95 southbound to I-16 eastbound and the I-16 westbound to I-95 southbound) loop ramps located on the west side of I-95 with “partial turbine” configuration ramps to provide smoother, more direct connections
- Add a collector-distributor (CD) lane on I-95 northbound to help improve traffic flow and safety to and from I-16 and I-95
- Add lighting at the I-16/I-95 Interchange
- Install Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) technology, including cameras, and changeable message signs to provide real-time driving conditions
- Install ramp meters at SR 307/Dean Forest Road and Chatham Parkway on-ramps
- Construct a two-lane, emergency-use median crossover on I-16 between I-95 and SR 307/Dean Forest Road to aid in evacuations; existing I-16 crossovers will remain operational until the new, two-lane crossover becomes operational
- Construct/rehabilitate 13 bridges
Click here to view I-16/I-95 interchange rendering
*Collector-distributor (CD) lanes run parallel to the main travel lanes of an interstate or highway, connecting them to access roads or entrance ramps in order to improve traffic flow, speed, and safety.
Interactive Project Timeline
- Q1 2020
- Q4 2023
2017Hosted a series of Public Information Open House (PIOH) meetings to show current concept plans and receive feedback
2018Awarded developer, Savannah Mobility Contractors (SMC), begins final design of the project. The consultant teams design an initial 30% of the project. The design is handed over to the selected developer to complete and construct.
2019Hosted a series of Public Information Open House (PIOH) meetings to show updated project designs.
Q1 2020Construction begins
Q4 2023Substantial completion*
* Substantial Completion is a legal term that defines when a contractor, or in this case, the Design-Build Team, Savannah Mobility Contractors (SMC), reaches the state where the projects are fit for use by the traveling public. As the project progresses and sections are complete, Georgia DOT will open newly constructed, improved infrastructure, which will allow motorists to experience the benefits of the projects prior to substantial completion.
Noise barriers have been evaluated as part of this project in accordance with the Georgia DOT noise policy and Federal Highway Administration noise regulations. Locations for potential noise barriers have been announced and property owners and renters who would benefit from a proposed noise barrier have been given the opportunity to participate in noise barrier voting. Download a noise barrier fact sheet here.
Voting Results for Noise Barrier Locations 1 and 2
Voting Results for Noise Barrier Location 4
Mailing Address: 20 Martin Court, Savannah, GA 31419